Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Got Garden?

Well yesterday got finished with a some sense of accomplishment! I finally got my Okra planted, drippers punched, etc. The corn on the other hand.... not quite there yet, that's a mission for this afternoon. My poor okra transplants look like heck unfortunately. they just didn't weather being cooped up for an extra three weeks too well. I have faith that they'll snap to it though. Originally I was planning on planting just 75' of Okra, but my sweet potato slips didn't turn out to well... soo I'm glad I like pickling! What I didn't have in transplants I planted in seed. They will more than likely catch up quite quickly.

Also on the order for yesterday was fixing sprinklers. I absolutely hate digging up and flushing lines, but knew I had to finally get it done. With the idea of having sheep out here again I need to have my irrigation in top shape. I now only have one sprinkler left to fix... yay! Also, had to change on of the lines off of full rotation so that it wouldn't be spraying the garden. I'm trying to keep any excess water out, to help control the weeds... namely bermuda! Beautiful for a SoCal pasture, not so great when taking over the beans. Got a good look at my kohlrabies today, and man are they big! I have never eaten kohlrabi so I'm pretty excited. Ooo, and the broccolies are getting little dainty florets too. Not long now!

Oh, and the cucurbits are officially planted. Other than a few straggler cucumbers that I'm going to have to plant from seed, its looking good! There's watermelon, pumpkins for pie, Cinderella pumpkins, patty squash, crooknecks, butternuts, buttercups, and even Atlantic Giant Pumpkins... I'm really hoping to get one up to 700 lbs.! I decided to forgo trying to put drip in the patch, and have chosen instead to just go ahead and sprinkle irrigate. I'm going to inter plant clover as a living mulch, and then go ahead and flush the sheep on it in the fall. 











Ok, and for today. Well first order was to fix that blasted BB from jumping anymore fences. She quite frankly annihilated my poor asparagus. They where finally growing, and now they are sticks. Soooo, BB is now loosly cross hobbled. No more bolting, no more clearing fences. After watching the show ( you didn't think she appreciated having her feet tied together did you?) I caught her back up, and made sure her hobbles hadn't gotten any tighter. With her jumping temporarily curbed I felt safe moving the sheep into the pastures by the main garden. I won't be leaving the hobbles on for very long. Just until my electrostop fencing arrives on Friday. That should teach her enough respect for fences that she won't need them anymore. Even with the hobble situation, all the sheep look much happier in their new space. They will get fresh grass day after tomorrow. I really need about 4 more sheep to keep up with as much pasture as I have, and thankfully the rams will be coming soon enough! I'm not sure, I may end up getting one Targhee, and one Merino, or two Targhees. I haven't made up my mind yet, but know that I will get two so that I'll have enough for next year when I purchase my ewes.

Yellow Onion Close Up

Tomatillos growing like weeds!

Broccoli is getting closer




Big ol' Kohlrabi




Potatoes and Cole Crops
The next order for the day is getting all the drip line layed out for the next block of corn. Last time I planted a long skinny row... well I read that thats not the way to do it so now I'm going to plant a couple blocks, and at different intervals so that I have a steady supply of sweet corn. I can't help but be excited about this fall. I'm already planning what's going where, and getting things prepared. I tshould be a much better crop. I'm also trying to line out where the sheep will go year after next. Get all my grazing leases organized. Its going to be a great next couple of years I think, and I hope you all will join me.  
Corn and Beans
Onions and Tomatoes back view

No comments:

Post a Comment