Friday, May 27, 2011

Christmas in May?












Maybe not, but it sure feels like it! Today the electrostop fence I ordered from Premier arrived!!! I am hoping that it will solve all my sheep jumping fences sorts of problems. On the fence itself I went all out, and bought the 42" height fencing. Unfortunately in my infinite cheapness, I did not order posts at the same time (shipping), instead purchasing them from TSC... I even called ahead. Of course, they didn't actually have the posts I inquired about, so hopefully the funky fiberglass ones will get the job done. I am so excited about the prospect of getting my pastures back in shape! I'm absolutely thrilled. I can run quite a few sheep on this little place when the pastures are in working order. The great thing about the sheep I have right now is that they are super thrifty, and not an ounce picky!    
If there edible then they aren't weeds in my book! I thought that this picture was funny  for the weed eaters happily at work next to a "weed eater." The sheep do a much nicer job... even picking the sticks out of the fence!

I made sure and stuck around long enough to see whether or not they would try to bolt through there new fence. That way if anybody did dart into it I could untangle them in time. There's nothing worse than finding one of your preciouse animals electrocuted to death in a fence. Yesterday I made sure, and fixed BB's hobbles just for that reason. She had gotten her hind foot loose, and what was the first thing she did? Try to jump the fence. Thankfully the rope caught in the top of the fence, and she did a bit of a faceplant into the deep grass on the other side! It doesn't sound nice, but at least it gave me the opportunity to catch her that I needed. Hobbles fixed she should get her nose in the new fence, instead of catching it mid air with her hind feet, and wrapping herself up in it.




Here is the new paddock all read for the sheep. You can see the energizer hanging on the gate, and the fence reel hanging on the fence next to it.




Just another view of the fence. This one shows the poly wire protecting the permanent fence.



The Paddock that the sheep just left. It doesn't look very tidy, but it is grazed well enough. The sheep had been here for 2.5 days, and where already tired of being on stale grass. I hadn't seen one eat all morning, and of course when I moved them they ate like they where starved.


The girls are looking so good, and little Yabbo too! They are much happier chowing down on fresh grass. I am going to make their spaces small enough that they need to be moved every day. Fresh grass= less parasites.

Here is the pasture the sheep came out of earlier. It is a bit overgrazed, but is recovering nicely. If anybody's wondering, yes I did take the mower to it to top the foxtail! Three sheep are not exactly enough to graze a quarter acre evenly without cross fencing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment