Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Finally Back


The beautiful Hopland Research Station

Well 2 weeks turned into a month as I made an attempt to get through the fiber. I started this venture with a trip to Hopland, CA. to shear the Hopland Research Station's beautiful flock of Targhee sheep. It almost took a full week to shear the flock of nearly 1000. After shearing the station I went ahead, and took some needed RR, taking a break from shearing to do some brush clearing instead. I actually enjoy clearing brush, and somehow managed to stay entirely out of the poison oak. Which was unfortunately not the case with my friend that I was clearing the brush with. I couldn't help but think of how much more pleasant it would have been to put sheep on the lot for about 3 days before the clearing commenced!



Hopland Research Station Rams

 I finally got my trailer back just in time to make the trek north to Redwood Valley, CA.  I had to leave it in Vacaville to have the electrical worked on. Now it works like a dream... no more getting electricuted while its plugged in! YAY! While I was up north I ended up shearing for Jean Near, owner of Utopia Ranch, and a sheepy legend of sorts up in the valley. Mrs. Near has been building her flock of colored merinos for close to 40 years! The sheep of Utopia are beautiful, large, and colorful. She has quite the collection of moorits, blacks, greys, and of course, bright white... all of which are coated year round. You can find more information about her flock at http://www.jeannear.com/ . Though shearing real Merinos for the first time was extremely hard work, I had an absolute blast. I wish I would have remembered to get my camera out. It was my first ever time shearing on a shearing day too, and I think it went pretty well. I just took extra time, navigating the wrinkles, and trying to keep the beautiful hand spinning fleeces second cut free.


Corriedale Merino X Ewes and Weathers

I also sheared for a few other smaller flocks the next day. I ended up getting off to a late start, as I was enjoying my stay with Mrs. Near so much that we ended up talking until late the morning of my departure. The other flocks I sheared both contained some of Mrs. Nears genetics crossed on Corriedale. I will post their information when I get permission. They also have beautiful coated sheep, some of which are pictured here.


Coated Corriedale Merino X ewe


After finishing up in the beautiful Redwood Valley, I ended up having to cut my travels short. The weather made a change for rainy, and I couldn't afford to stay and wait it out. I had to call, and cancel my other appointments in the surrounding area for now, and might be able to head back that direction at a  later date if they are still in need of shearing. For now it looks like I have one shearing job left south of Bako, and a lot of garden to focus on... also can't forget my THREE sheep. Yep BB had her lamb! A adorable little ram now named Yabbo, who might be lucky enough to go to work next season.
Ella, Yabbo, and BB

No comments:

Post a Comment