Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sheep, Garden, and Critter News!



Certain things in the garden are finally coming to an end, and others just beginning! Most of the corn has been harvested, boiled, and frozen for later consumption by now, the broccoli has bolted, the cabbages are coleslawed, beans bagged, and the taters dug. Now for those traditional summer goodies! The Okra is just kicking in. with 90 someott plants, they should keep me pickling quite consistently, the tomatoes... Ooooh the tomatoes. I'm actually quite intimated by the thought of their coming round... I will be in la cucina nonstop! Lets not even talk about tomatillos, and we can't forget even more sweet corn! Yep, 40lbs wasn't quite enough. I will be busy for quite some time! I need to get a bit more creative with it I think!


Some patty squash to add to the other summer delights
 For other creature news... Four Points Farms now officially has ducks. Mystery ducks, and Muscovy ducks! The mystery ducks came to us as little yellow rescues. I have no idea what kind of duck they are, but they are getting beautiful plumage! If anyone could comment on what they think that they are  that would be great, and please let me know what that color is called! The Muscovy ducks, are doing quite well. They met the day we ended up with them, and now have seven eggs together. All the ducks seem happy, although unfortunately the Muscovies broke two of the younger ducks wings, making them sit at an awkward angle.



The Muscovies and the Mysteries!

Muscovy eggs

The sheep are doing excellent. There are officially four new additions. They passed their OPP and Johnes tests with honors! They are grade Rambouillet ewe lambs that I took on trade for some shearing. I think they will fit in well here, and have a bit to offer. They where born January 2011, are about 65lbs, and at shearing(approx. 6mo.) had between 63 and 75mm. staple length. (2.5-3in). If I where to give micron an educated guess, I would put them all under 20. A few of the traits that I truly appreciate about these sheep are their open faces, nice crimp, plain bodies, and high lambing percentage (165%). They are also very good mothers, and flock very tightly.


Don't wory, just a little spilt Iodine. I was dipping the tails, and retreating a few nicks that had gotten soupy from the flies.

Just as good as getting the sheep on trade was getting to work my dog Ollie for the first time on sheep! I wish I had pictures, but I was a bit to busy. Most farmers won't let me work Ollie, because they think he's a pit mix. He was awesome for his first ever chance to work chutes! Running back, and forth, using his deep bark, and feet to pack the sheep tight. If the fences would have been a bit more solid I could have done quite a bit more with him actually using him off leash. He even got to work on the open field! He and I walked up behind the 75 or so ewes with lambs, and began driving them up to the night pen! He even found some strays with newborn lambs on his own, and with a bit of help and guidance drove them to the main group. I was super impressed with him to say the least! He may not have any outrun, but he sure can drive, and proved himself at least to me that he can hold his own stacking stubborn finewools in the shed! Now I finally know how great it feels to get to brag on a dog! He's always been my buddy, and guard dog, but now he is officially a working dog!


New Rambouillets enjoyin an afternoon snack.
 





 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment