Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First Attempt at blogging... Garden Goodies

Hmm, well the day is already warming up, and I still haven't managed to get the drip irrigation in the garden . Lots of phone chores, that needed to get done early in the day today,  but all's not lost! I can get to it this evening, directly after picking up a few more necessary parts. The idea of not water wanding 3000' sq. of garden space is absolutely wonderful, not to mention the water conservation potential. The last couple of days I have been hand watering the freshly planted beans, corn, and taters, and its paying off in the form of pretty new leaves on the spuds at least. To make things interesting, I planted both red, and blue potatoes... and if it weren't for the fact I was a row shy it would of been red, white, and blue!
In an effort to streamline production I bit the bullet, and purchased some new gear this year! Believe it or not I decided that I didn't want to tinker with spending hours planting little seeds by hand so I invested in a Precision Seeder! That thing is mean, I'm glad I made the investment.... it made planting the corn, and beans absolutely painless, and should prove worth its weight in gold for the carrots, and other fine seeds! Also found an absolutely awesome 1986 6hp Troy-Built PTO horse a few weeks ago! As of today, the old Horse should get some new pep to its step with the coming of a new belt, and carburetter kit via the mail! Another new acquisition is a new Planet Jr. wheel hoe that I ordered from Farmer Browns Plow Shop in NY. They where wonderfully pleasant to do business with, and the wheel hoe has already proven its worth by pulling all the rows in the not so tiny garden! Hey, it beats doing it by hand with a shovel or what ever else any day! The last, but not least new tool is a Vashon Broadfork. It sure is heavy, but is so sturdy, and the weight actually makes it easier to use. As you can imagine I'm pretty excited about the garden this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment